the life of a waitress

So I’ve had a lot of people ask me what I do for a living and when I give the answer “waitress” they suddenly go quiet or simply say “oh”. But, what’s the problem with being a waitress? I’ve had people moan about waitresses receiving tips, saying all they do is serve food just like at MacDonalds. However, Maccies is all about fast food service - in restaurants, well, it’s more about personal service. Going that extra mile, relaying the specials of the day, grabbing that extra napkin or fork, rearranging the table to fit all nine people on and dealing with food complaints.

I’ve had many complaints and some rude people - at maccies if the server has to deal with a rude customer they only have to be in their company for 5 minutes and they’re gone. Waitresses however, have to suck it up for a good 30-40 minutes, smile through their teeth and remain polite. And yes, it is hard work.

I guess tipping at restaurants has been adopted by us Brits from America. USA waitresses (and waiters!) have it tough - working at $3 an hour and having tips being a minimum of 10% of the bill is pretty tough going. Thank god I live in the UK.

Next time you think about looking down on somebody’s job, maybe imagine what it’s like for them. Different jobs suit different people and their skills/ personalities. I don’t think you would be so mean then. 

Comments

Popular Posts